If you are using a Civil Service list from your county to source a hire a for a specific position, you can use SchoolFront to manage the process.
Using SchoolFront to manage the Civil Service vetting and hiring process is beneficial in several ways:
- It allows you to generate and print canvas letters via "mail-merge" using a template of your creation.
- It helps you stay organized and keep track of progress, which can be particularly challenging when you are managing many hires accross multiple positions at one time.
- SchoolFront securely retains a record of lists you upload, communications you generate, and other hiring artifacts (for retention/auditing/historical-reference).
- SchoolFront allows you to convert individuals from Civil Service lists to employees without duplicate data entry in the system once a hire decision is made.
Prerequisite Configuration Step
Civil Service List Management functionality must be enabled for your organization in SchoolFront.
Recruit/Vet Candidates for a Position Using a Civil Service List
Recruiting from a Civil Service list means that you will not be posting your job externally or accept applications from applicants not on the list. Instead, you will create a job posting that will not be externally accessible and will associate the list you received from the county with the posting.
- Create a Job Posting. -- Even though you will not be exposing this job posting externally, this job posting will NOT be an "internal" job posting (because you will not be accepting applications from internal candidates either), so:
- Complete all required fields.
- You can leave non-required fields blank.
- In the External Job Settings section, do not select the following:
- Available on RecruitFront
- Apply Online
- In the Internal Job Settings section, do not select the following:
- Available Internally
- Create a Tracker. -- this tracker will be associated with your job posting and will hold the list of candidates from the Civil Service list who respond to your canvas letter. You will also be able to convert candidates on the tracker into employees once a hire decision is made. When configuring your tracker:
- Leave "Auto Add Job Applicants to Tracker" unchecked (because you will be adding people based on their responses to your canvas letters.
- Upload Your Civil Service List. -- In this step you will be taking the list provided to you by the county and transpose it into a template which you will then upload to SchoolFront.
- Associate the Uploaded Civil Service List with the Job Posting. -- In this step, you will be linking the list of candidates and all of their information provided by the county with a specific job posting.
- Generate Canvas Letters for Candidates. -- In this step you will be creating mail-merged canvas letters and mailing labels which can be printed and sent via postal mail to the candidates from the list.
- Track Candidate Responses and Recruiting Statuses. -- In this step you will record the responses you get from the candidates to whom you sent canvas letters.
- Add Candidates Who Respond to Canvasing to Tracker. -- In this step you will add candidates to a tracker so that the vetting and hiring process can be managed and all related information and artifacts can be securely retained.
- Use the Tracker to Manage Candidate Vetting & Hiring Committee. -- In this step you vet the candidates and make a hire decision (with or without the participation of a committee of reviewers).
- Hire a Civil Service Candidate from a Tracker. -- In this step you will convert one or more of the candidate records to active employee records in SchoolFront and kick-off employee on-boarding for the employee(s).
Civil Service Recruitment Webinar Link: https://vimeo.com/701296098